If there’s one drawback to living in a rental home, it’s that it’s usually not everything you’ve ever wanted. There will always be a few things that make you go “I wouldn’t have done that if this were my own home.” Welcome to Hello Cleaner’s DIY. In this article, we’ll give you 20 Awesome Ideas To Make Any Rental Feel Like Home.
20. If your rental space feels a little empty, you might need a little something to breathe life into it – literally. Get plants to liven up the place! You could go for a pair of hanging plants, a giant floor plant, or lots of smaller plants all over the home! Being around plants is great for your health, and it makes the space look much homier than leaving things blank!
19. Neon sign decor has become increasingly popular in the past few years, and for good reason! They’re a great way to brighten up your place and they can be anything you want them to be. You have the option of getting something premade from the store that works for your aesthetic, like a cloud or a word, or you can get one custom-made! Have it spell out something you love, or even your name! It will make your space truly feel like it’s your own!
18. If there’s one thing most rentals have in common, it’s a sheer disregard for good window coverings. Often you’re either stuck with weirdly placed windows, or they’re covered with ugly vertical blinds that could make your space feel unlivable! One of the best things you can do in this situation with a rental is to get rid of those blinds and get nice curtains instead! You could go light and sheer, or go all out with some velvet curtains! These will instantly transform your space and make it feel like home!
17. Stuck with countertops you don’t like? You don’t have to be! Contact paper can pretty much cover anything, and that includes countertops! Simply get marble contact paper in the color you like and stick it on! You can put this paper all over your counters; just be sure to cut out pieces to allow space for the sink and stove. Contact paper is perfectly fine to use on the countertops, and you won’t have to worry about damaging it or the counters! When you move out, you can easily peel the contact paper off and the countertops will go right back to looking like they did before!
16. Rental homes often have a whole lot of nothingness. This is great in some respects because it makes the place look bigger, but it can also make it feel too temporary if you can’t really do much with the open space. A great way to spruce things up and give yourself tons of space to put things in is to get bookcases! These can hold your books or act as a display for all of your little decor pieces! You’ll be able to style them however you want and easily create a space that reflects your unique individual style!
15. If your rental kitchen has one of those super basic backsplashes, it might make the space look, well… basic. You probably don’t have permission to rip out the entire backsplash and install a new one, but you can cover it up! Get some peel and stick backsplash pieces and simply stick them on top of the tiles. These look super realistic and will make you feel like you have a real tile backsplash even though they’re just stickers! With these, you’ll be able to instantly upgrade your kitchen and make it look exactly how you want it to!
14. If you want your rental to feel like home, you need to make it warm and inviting. One of the things that people often end up forgetting when setting up their home is lots of extra seating! This doesn’t mean that you have to go out and buy tons of chairs, though. You can achieve that homey feeling by getting lots of ottomans too! They’re great because you can easily move them around the house whenever you need a little seat somewhere, and most of them even come with secret storage space!
13. Floating shelves are a great way to add storage space anywhere. You can use these to organize your makeup, hold your essentials, or even display your trinkets and decor! With these shelves, you can bring in a touch of you into the space or just create a little more space to put all the things you didn’t know what to do with before. The more convenient your space is, the homier it will feel!
12. The word “home” is pretty much synonymous with comfort. If you’re trying to up the cozy factor in your rental, one of the best ways to do so is to bring in a nice fluffy rug! These are great because they work in any space and you don’t necessarily need a specific “base” flooring to put them on. You could have tiles, wooden flooring, or even wall-to-wall carpet; a fluffy rug will work perfectly regardless, making this one of the easiest ways to spruce up a room!
11. Even if it doesn’t really feel like it, we spend a lot of our time in the bathroom. For a lot of people, it’s the most important room in the house! So it makes sense to put a little more thought into making it feel like it’s a part of the home. One of the easiest ways to do that is to get a matching bathmat and shower curtain set! The two together will bring a touch of cohesiveness to the room while adding to the decor of the overall home!
10. If you feel like your rental home is really plain and simple, try out an industrial light! These are usually very easy to install and don’t require you to make a lot of changes to the home itself. They’re a unique way to change up a room and can give any boring old space a lot of character instantly!
9. If your bed has lots of space right above it, that’s a missed opportunity! There are lots of ways you can use that space to amp up your bedroom! You can hang macrame, paint the wall a unique color or with fun shapes, or even hang lots of lights there! This space has the potential to totally transform your bedroom from one that you just sleep in to one that you actually enjoy being in!
8. One of the most frustrating things about living in a rental home is that the bathrooms are almost never the way you’d like! Most of that is usually because of the tiles, which might be old or simply ugly. The good news is that although you can’t get rid of the tiles the home came with, you can cover them up! Bathroom wallpaper is waterproof and easy to apply! Just stick the wallpaper onto your tiles and you’ll have a totally different bathroom!
7. A great way to add character and make a rental home truly yours is to bring in lots of pieces that reflect your style. One of the best ways to do that is to bring art into the home! You can either make the art yourself, or you can buy pieces you really like! Either way, lots of different pieces of art all around your home will give every wall a purpose, and together, they’ll make your home feel complete.
6. We’ve seen a few different types of “peel and stick” things in this video so far, but this is one that you might’ve never even heard of! Peel and stick stickers for your stairs! It’s almost impossible for your rental to come with immaculate, nice stairs. If you’re stuck with one of the most basic flights of stairs on earth, get yourself peel and stick stairs stickers that match your vibe and just put them on your stairs to transform them instantly!
5. Your rental home may have random sections of the house where nothing really seems to fit. Spaces like these are the perfect place to place an accent chair or two! Create a cozy little nook with these chairs, add a small rug and a few art pieces and you’ll have an additional little conversation area in your home! The best part is, this will make it look like that extra space was totally there on purpose!
4. When you can’t think of a way to spruce up a room, turn to mirrors. Mirrors can serve so many purposes. They’re reflective, so they bounce the light around. While doing so, they make the room look a lot bigger. They also come in different shapes, sizes and styles, so they can add to the decor, and they’re just nice to have around. Even if your taste is totally off the beaten path, so to speak, you’re bound to find a mirror that works perfectly for you and your home if you look hard enough!
3. Don’t know what to do with awkward hallways? You’re not alone! Hallways can be pretty difficult to style, which is why a lot of people just leave them blank. However, a nice way to make the hallway not feel like a barren tunnel to your rooms is to add a runner rug! These usually fit well in most hallways and add a touch of coziness to the space too!
2. Little tables everywhere are one of the main ways you can make a rental feel like a home. These aren’t only cute decor pieces, they’re also super useful for putting just about anything on. You can use them as a space for plants, art pieces, or random decor – or just keep them empty and use them as decorative tables. How you use them totally depends on you and how you want your home to function!
1. Finally, the best way to make a rental feel like home is to get the plushiest, coziest couch you can find. Add that to your living room and pair it with as many throw pillows and throw blankets as you can logically fit on there. Once you’re done, you’ll have yourself a couch that you’ll have to convince yourself to ever get off of – and there’s nothing homier than that!
And that’s a wrap! Using these 20 awesome ideas, you can easily make your boring rental feel like a home! Which one of these do you want to try out? Let us know in the comments below. Make sure to subscribe to our blog for more articles like this. See you in the next one!
Visited 68 Times, 1 Visit today